Major Insight podcast presents college prep mini-series: Advice for my first-year self
College students share stories about leaving home, making new friends, getting involved, and more
To help new and returning students prepare for the upcoming academic year, Major Insight, an original podcast from Miami University, has released a college prep mini-series called, “Advice for my first-year self.”
Available now, each episode of the companion series shares real stories and advice from college students studying a variety of majors about successfully adapting to and thriving in new and unfamiliar environments.
- Episode 1, Advice for my first year-self: Leaving home, features stories from students who found themselves away from home for the first time, learning to become independent, and trying to make new friends along the way.
- Episode 2, Advice for my first year-self: Getting involved, explores how students found the courage to step out of their comfort zone, join new clubs, and embrace exciting opportunities.
“Starting a new school year can be both an exciting and an uncertain time for any college student,” said podcast producer James Loy, of Miami University Communications and Marketing. “Major Insight has always been about helping students embrace college with confidence and clarity, and this special mini-series offers some of the best advice from the podcast about overcoming the common challenges that so many students face. We hope it provides a helpful resource for any student no matter where they may be on their journey.”
Topics covered in these special episodes include:
- Overcoming homesickness
- Managing mental health
- Finding a campus community
- Changing majors
- Building relationships with professors
- The benefits of having an open mind
- And more